Tenney Park Vintage Postcard Installation
On the Tenney Park Island, near the playground, you can see the permanent Tenney Park Vintage Postcard Installation. The five images were selected from 100 postcards from the early 1900’s. Tenney Park was the first park developed by the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association (MPPDA). Dredging began in 1900 with the park finally completed in 1916. The first design was created by O.C. Simonds and had more of a serpentine look for the lagoon with 3 small islands. It was redesigned by John Nolan in 1909 as an active recreational park.
The Vintage Postcard Installation was created by Caroline Hoffman. The postcard sculptures were made by Mike Burns. The postcards were contributed from the private collections of Frank Mooney, Pat Mooney, Ann Waidelich and Jackie Kaplan. Assistance in the creation and funding of the installation was given by Karen Crossley, Patty Prime and Lois Bergerson.
Funding for the installation came from a City of Madison Neighborhood Grant and the Tenney Lapham Neighborhood Association. Additional financial support was given by Associated Bank,, Burnie’s Rock Shop, Festival Foods, Forward Madison FC, Full Spectrum Solar, The Livingston Inn, Martha Porter Kilgour Fund, McGrath Property Group, Mendota Lake House Inn, The QTI Group, Renaissance Property Group, Reynolds Transfer & Storage, and Stone House Development.
Tenney Park was the first park developed by the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association (MPPDA). Dredging began in 1900 with the park finally completed in 1916.